Great places don’t just happen. They need to be created by people for people. It takes some hard work. But there are huge benefits for residents and visitors. We get an amazing place where we can relax, shop, meet friends, live, work and play.
A place to feel proud of.
Every small action to create a better place is important. Creating a Better Beaufort Street is everybody’s responsibility. It isn’t just up to governments or “someone else”.
What Can You Do To Help?
The first thing you can do is to join the Beaufort Street Network. The Network is a not for profit community organisation run by volunteers.
We invite everyone who loves Beaufort Street to become a Member. Your support helps the Network to create better places, promote local businesses and build a stronger community. It only costs $15 a year to be a Member and $95 a year for businesses. To join, follow the link below –
There are lots of simple things we can all do, such as –
- Introduce yourself to one of the local traders
- Buy from local shops
- Pick up a piece of rubbish from the street
- Walk or cycle to the street instead of driving (reduces traffic and parking congestion, better for you and better for the environment)
- Meet your friends at a local café or bar
- Tell your friends about what’s happening on the street
- Help fund a new action (e.g. public art)
- Participate in a new action to improve the street
- Help organise a new action to improve the street
- Lead a new action to improve the street
The Better Block project helps local communities create their own vibrant, interesting and walkable town centres. It started as an art project in 2010. Locals in Dallas, Texas decided to create their own dream neighbourhood block in days, using very little money. Better Blocks are spreading globally, including in Australian cities like Melbourne, Geelong and Sydney. Find out more at http://www.betterblock.org/
Want to Help?
There are so many ideas and possible projects to improve our street. If you are keen, we’ll let you know what is going on and find something you would be interested in helping with. Or you might have your own ideas. Creating a better place can be fun and build on your skills and abilities.
Let us know if you are interested –